Friends: We’re looking forward to seeing you all at the first annual SCYMF Yearly Meeting. Here are a few things you need to know in preparation for annual sessions.
From the Clerk
I look forward to gathering with you all this weekend to worship through business, song, silence, fellowship around meals, and sharing our stories. Each committee and working group will report on its current and future work, including a proposed budget and goals or hopes for the coming year.
Action items we will be working on in gathered business sessions include:
- Welcoming into membership West Hills Friends Church and individual Friends who would like to join as SCYMF members. Note: there will be a sign-up sheet for individuals. If you will not be at annual sessions and want to join, please email email@example.com with your full name, email, address, phone number, and a statement that you affirm you wish to join SCYMF as a member.
- Nominations: approving the formation of a communications committee; bringing forth a number of names to fill roles on committees and working groups.
- Amendments to bylaws based on feedback since February.
- Faith and Practice: reading and discussing currently drafted sections for approval of direction of F&P, mostly just for feedback. Possibly seeking approval for section on “What this document is/is not”
- Recording task force/Nurture of Ministry Committee: Discuss and seek approval for Recording Process. Recording and ministerial license transfers.
- Finance/Treasurer: approve a budget.
In Preparation for Annual Sessions
We are still in need of volunteers to assist Katherine Spinner, the children's program director. If you could help out for an hour or two during the weekend sessions, please contact Vicki Stave at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking for donations for the silent auction which will raise money for scholarships for next year’s annual sessions. If you have any questions, please contact Erika Craig at email@example.com.
Please bring snacks to share with the group for the weekend. Some refrigeration is available.
If you have a copy of “Rise Up Singing” please bring it for the Saturday evening songfest around the bonfire.
If you have children, please bring snacks for the children’s program that are compatible with your children’s dietary preferences.
If you have any further questions, you may reply to this email or contact the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rachel Hampton for the
Quarterly Gathering Planning Committee
The Nominating Committee is looking for a co-clerk, as well as more members for the finance committee, youth committee, committee for the nurture of ministry and the quarterly gathering planning committee. If you are interested in serving on any of these committees or know someone who is, please send an email to email@example.com.
Workshops for Annual Sessions
The quarterly gathering planning committee approved the following workshop proposals for our annual sessions coming up May 18-20 at Canby Grove Christian Center. Each workshop is an hour and a half. There are two workshop times: Saturday afternoon right after lunch, at 1:30, and Sunday morning after worship, at 10:30. We will have childcare during both workshop session times.
- The Wisdom of Quaker Journals, Jon Kershner
- Being Stewards of God’s Will, Wil Brant
- Adding Another “I” to “SPICES” – Inclusion, Dove John
- Spiritual Drama, Joann Boswell
- Complexity of Diversity, Tolerance, and Group-Think, Jim Teeters
- The Business Meeting: We Have the Mind of Christ, Julie Peyton
- Friendly Water, Global Development, and Effective Altruism, David Albert
Friday, May 18th
1-3:00 pm Registration and Relaxation
3-5:00 pm Committee Meetings
6:00 pm Dinner
7:30 pm Get-Acquainted Activity
8:00 pm Opening Session
9:00 pm Youth Gathering
Saturday, May 19th
8:00 am Breakfast
9:00 am Opening Worship
10:15 am Business Session
12:00 pm Lunch
1:30 pm Workshops
3:00 pm Training on Freedcamp communications tool
4:00 pm Business Session
4:45 pm Celebration of Ministers
5:30 pm Dinner
7:00 pm Songs around the fire
Sunday, May 20th
8:00 am Breakfast
9:30 am Worship
10:30 am Workshops
12:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm Business Session
3:00 pm Closing
5:00 pm Departure
Annual Sessions will be at Canby Grove Christian Center, this weekend, May 18–20, 2018. More information at our Events Page.
Click here for June 2018 news from the Ben Lomond Quaker Center.
C Wess Daniels is leading a weekend retreat outside of San Francisco at the Ben Lomond Quaker Retreat Center on remixing the Quaker tradition, from June 1–3. More details at http://www.quakercenter.org/programs/remixing-faith/.
Answering That of God in Every One: A conference for Quaker women from the Pacific and Inland Northwest and beyond and other women interested in exploring Quaker Spirituality. June 6-10, 2018 at the Canby Grove Christian Center. Click here to register online.
Dove John, North Seattle Friends Church, attended the following gathering at Pendle Hill, representing the Nakani Native Program, formerly the American Friends Service Committee Northwest Indian Program – Truth and Healing: Quakers Seeking Right Relationship with Indigenous Peoples, held May 3-6, 2018. Dove is willing to report on this gathering to interested churches/meetings. Contact Dove John, North Seattle Friends Church, firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-525-8800 to make arrangements.
Reedwood Friends Church, an independent, multi-cultural Quaker Church, located in southeast Portland, Oregon, and until recently a part of Northwest Yearly Meeting, is seeking applications for a full-time pastor. We are seeking an experienced Christ-centered pastor who has a proven track record in effective community building and organizing, a strong ability to recruit, supervise and energize volunteers, experience working with cross cultural and inter-generational communities, delivers challenging and inspiring sermons and shows a demonstrated ability to pursue active, continuous personal, professional and spiritual development. For complete job description go to www.reedwood.org. Applications may be made by sending a cover letter, CV/resume, and written statement showing personal commitment to Quaker values and testimonies to email@example.com.
Are members of your local church receiving this newsletter? Use the email forward button below to share this issue, or encourage anyone interested in subscribing to do so by completing the form on our Contact page. You can also find our newsletter online.
If you have an announcement you’d like to have included in the next Bulletin, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.