The Equity and Inclusion Committee invites Sierra-Cascades Friends to join together and work toward right relationship with indigenous people. We will educate ourselves, build relationships, and take steps toward apology, justice, and reconciliation. Please commit personally and as local meetings to this topic.
At Annual Sessions in May, the Committee distributed a letter of apology to the tribes developed by Dove John. Consider this letter as local meetings and individuals over the next months. Seek resources, educational opportunities, and experiences to inform you. If you have a relationship with someone from one of your local tribes, ask them if they would be willing to offer suggestions. Help Sierra-Cascades determine how to move forward.
Over the course of the year, we will learn together, discuss this document as a group, and consider what language we want to use and what actions we want to take as a Yearly Meeting. These activities will support us in our local meetings and in our relationships with our local tribes.
The Equity & Inclusion Committee will facilitate this process by:
- Providing a list of resources (let us know as you find others to add!)
- Contributing regularly to the weekly bulletin with relevant links for learning
- Hosting book groups via Zoom to study/discuss the topic
- Traveling to local meetings to facilitate and support discussion
- Providing an online form to submit feedback about the letter
- Organizing a workshop by an indigenous facilitator in tandem with Fall Quarterly Meeting weekend (TBD)
- Providing opportunities to worship, discuss, and brainstorm about this at Quarterly Meetings
We would like a contact with each meeting so that we can stay in touch with you, hear how your conversations and learning are going, and provide support. If you have a Peace and Social Concerns Committee, it could be the Clerk or a representative of that committee. Please email Promise (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your name and your local meeting. Those who are individual members are also welcome.
We ask God to guide us and give us humility as we face our history, seek right relationship with indigenous people, and move forward with more wholeness.
Eli Craig (email@example.com)
Dove John (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Promise Partner (email@example.com)
Representatives of the Equity & Inclusion Committee
Click here to read the full letter.